Cherry Truluck and I led a day long Design CPD, on the collaborative relationship of a Director and Designer, for teachers at the Old Vic Theatre. This CPD covered:
- The role of the designer.
- The role of the director.
- The importance of collaboration.
- A brief history of scenograhpy.
- Theatre styles and vocabulary.
- How to collaboratively develop ideas.
- Creating shared briefs.
- Practical exercises for the generation of material.
- The power of moodboards.
- How to communicate your ideas.
The session was rated excellent by teachers who learnt:
“Great, active ways to get students thinking about how they would make decisions when staging a performance.”
“How to structure worksheets and sessions to get students into a concept.”
How to “use 5 minute speed exercises to generate initial ideas, break down the design concept into separate topics/headings and use Pinterest in a group research activity.”
Photos by Ludovic des Cognets.